(thanks to Alan Richey for the killer banner above)

Welcome to Untitled Gaming, repository for unfiltered, uncensored opinions on all things related to games, and best of it all, it comes from two adults that don't live in their mothers' basements. Additionally, we do not think it's the coolest thing in the world to scream racist and homophobic slurs, all in the name of drawing attention to our sad, little lives. We do other less obnoxious things to draw attention to our sad, little lives.

Oh, and we've been accused of podcasting from time to time. You can check out the most recent one just to the right of the blog.

We're here to have discussions, so please enjoy and engage us in the comments!

thanks to Laurance Honkoski for the book banner!

Blaine's Other Blogs

20140204

Yesterday's Title Made No Sense, So Potatoes

I meant to talk about my 'gaming space' yesterday, but got completely derailed by ... oh wow, there's a trailer for Murdered: Soul Suspect. I think I remember hearing about that game somewhere, at some time, but damn ... and it says there's an Xbox One 'version,' which implies another platform. Maybe PC? Was that one of those that was gonna have a TV show attached to it? Can't remember. No, that was something from those guys that did Alan Wake. Yeah. Wasn't there a DS game kinda like this?

Oh. Sorry.

Anyway, when the baby was discovered as being a gestating fetus in my wife's body, it became apparent that I was going to need to surrender my home office for the purpose of storing the infant after it was extracted from my wife.

I did so, happily, as I was and am thrilled to have another son. I love being a baby-daddy.

I moved our home office to what we call the 'Sun Room,' since it's glass on three sides, provides a thrilling view of our huge, green, and stress-inducing backyard (it requires more maintenance than a General Motors product.) At the time, it seemed like a good spot for it. Nice view, big space, and I could spread out my setup a little more.

Since then, glare is a constant issue, as is people talking at me. I am not exactly an easy person to hide, but beyond that, there must be something about my back, or perhaps, backside, that beckons to people to start running their mouths. At my back.

If my back had a third ear, and a separate brain to process the information being verbally spewed at it, this would not be a problem. However, I frequently work from home, and the nature of my work (programmer) can, at times, require some fierce concentration.

The same can also be said of a 32-man raid in SWTOR.



There are no doors to this room, since it's part of an 'open floor plan' and that means everyone has to be able to be up in each other's grills at all times. Most of the day, I like this. I married an attractive, intelligent woman, and she is an nice to look at as she is nice with which to converse. She stimulates blood flow at opposing ends of my body, and often at the same time.

And my children are fantastic.

I have a near-perfect home life, but my gaming/home office setup is atrocious. Part of the issue here is that I'm not a very good person, and thus like being able to wall myself off at certain times. If I'm working, I need the ability to drop a cone of silence on myself at will. But I still want to be able to raise my voice slightly and call to a family member, or to be able to hear signs of life elsewhere in the house.

And most of the games I play are games that nearly require total immersion. From the Elder Scrolls to raids in SWTOR to Dragon Age to the Witcher, my games are each a plunge into a distinct ocean of fiction (that doesn't have any sharks because fuck that), and without intense focus, you stand to miss a crucial detail, and then you're on the game's wiki, and then you accidentally read that you're Revan or the Nereveerevereareaareeerrine, and then the whole game is ruined, and then Germany has won the war.



I may finally cave and move my setup to the workshop in the basement. I've only ever used it for storing baseball cards and Star Wars memorabilia up to this point. It's dark, it's dank. It looks like the kind of place where you'd both work on the Frankenstein monster AND cook meth. I may be able to spruce it up. We'll see. I still don't like how cut off I'll be from the rest of the family, but I'm pretty creative, and may be able to find a way around that.

Side Quests

 - remember how I was bitching that Star Wars: The Old Republic needs more story content? Looks like that's in the works. I'm not judging either way yet, since it's early, BUT they have two so-called 'digital expansions' coming, ONE of which is like Makeb, the other is like Galactic Starfighter. Eesh. I'd rather have two Makebs. Just sayin'.

 - Thief has gone gold and has a trailer that talks at you about all its features. Looks nice. I hope it's legit.


 - looks like 'Steam Music' is going to be a thing. You can stream your music library whilst playing a game. The UI looks nice. I'm already having visions of rocking some Billy Idol while dancing with Rinoa in Final Fantasy VIII. Check out the announced features here.

 - any time one of your generic console-only so-called 'gamer' friends starts teasing you about being a PC gamer, point at this shit right here.

Word. Thanks for reading.

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment