(thanks to Alan Richey for the killer banner above)

Welcome to Untitled Gaming, repository for unfiltered, uncensored opinions on all things related to games, and best of it all, it comes from two adults that don't live in their mothers' basements. Additionally, we do not think it's the coolest thing in the world to scream racist and homophobic slurs, all in the name of drawing attention to our sad, little lives. We do other less obnoxious things to draw attention to our sad, little lives.

Oh, and we've been accused of podcasting from time to time. You can check out the most recent one just to the right of the blog.

We're here to have discussions, so please enjoy and engage us in the comments!

thanks to Laurance Honkoski for the book banner!

Blaine's Other Blogs

20140213

My Summer Build Project

Every summer, I build a new PC. I alternate between a desktop and a laptop each year. In some cases, I actually build them, but as I've gotten older, I more frequently 'build' them (order them, with some heavy customizations, off a website.)

This summer, I'm due for a new laptop, but I may actually hold off. Yeah, my Alienware laptop has some aspects that I don't like, and I really would like to move into a new one, and their new 'trade-up' program has me tempted, but ...

The Steam streaming beta has really given me a lot to think about. Using the streaming feature, I really could, finally, have the big-ass TV gaming experience I deserve. Yeah, my Xbox One is great, but I only buy games for it if I can't get them on PC (Titanfall, because all my friends are luddite mouthbreathers that are primarily console players, may be the exception). Why? Visual fidelity. Control schemes. Modding. Every game on PC is portable. No disc. Infinite backwards compatibility. You get the idea, right?

I keep going back and forth on this, and I actually really would like some feedback from you.

I've got a minimum of two TVs up to a maximum of 4 TVs that I'd like to which I'd like to be able to stream. You'll understand that range in a moment.

No matter the implementation, I want the following: wireless keyboard/mouse w/ 10-20ft range), wireless 360 controller (same range as k/m), and HDMI out.

My two nicest setups are in the basement and the front room. In both cases, I have a big-ass TV and 5.1 surround. I have two lesser setups in the sun room and the bedroom.

The streaming feature requires a computer with either Windows, Mac (lulz), or Linux.

I've narrowed myself to two options:
 - build two cheap SteamOS boxes that will permanently park themselves under the two big TVs, but ONLY be used for games
 - customize and order a really nice gaming laptop that can dock at any TV easily into a setup that already has the wireless control options and HDMI out set to go; if I got the Alienware route  again, I can shave about $500 off the cost, AND get an upgraded mobile gaming experience, too; additionally, since I'll be rocking Windows 8.1 on it, I can also use this for any other media need I have, as well

While I'm heavily leaning toward #2, the size of the laptop is something I'm concerned about being able to mitigate. I need a minimum of a 1920x1080 display on it, and I HATE not having the numpad on my current Alienware, so we're probably looking at around 17inches.

Also, gaming laptops tend to be pretty thick, and I'd really like to have a low profile on this thing. And they can be pretty heavy.

What's nice, though, is that since local resources aren't being used in the streaming (yeah, a handful of games will be local), heat will not be an issue.

The other choice is the cheap SteamOS boxes. I probably have the ability to implement these at a very low cost. I hold onto hardware forever, JUST IN CASE, and that may pay off here.

Another thing, too, is that the Steam streaming isn't perfect yet. It doesn't work if the host computer is locked, and if it's Win8+, it better not be at the start screen. Also, if it's a non-Steam game that you've added to the Steam menu, it'll puke if it has a launch menu prior to the actual game (commonly seen in MMOs).

Which means that I'd want some games to be able to run locally (ESO, any BioWare games for which I use Origin cloud saves, SWTOR), which nukes the cheap SteamOS box idea, almost.

There's also a wild card in all this. My old gaming desktop, which was replaced last year, is now a Windows Server 2012 R2 box, which is running a Hyper-V instance, and acting as a file share. It's still got that NVIDIA 260GT in it, which will still run a lot of modern games, so local instances of games is possible, and I'm sure I can get the Steam streaming running on it. I could, theoretically, move that out to one of the TVs.

So, I dunno. I'm mulling this over until E3 week, which is my target for pulling the trigger one way or the other. That's usually my build week, since I always take the whole week off from work.

I'm not going to rush this decision, and I want to have time to plan out the infrastructure for it, so feel free to comment away with your thoughts. When it comes to design, never operate in a vacuum. Unless you're a space-bound alien.

SPRAY YOUR THOUGHTS ALL OVER ME, PLEASE!!!

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment