(thanks to Alan Richey for the killer banner above)

Welcome to Untitled Gaming, repository for unfiltered, uncensored opinions on all things related to games, and best of it all, it comes from two adults that don't live in their mothers' basements. Additionally, we do not think it's the coolest thing in the world to scream racist and homophobic slurs, all in the name of drawing attention to our sad, little lives. We do other less obnoxious things to draw attention to our sad, little lives.

Oh, and we've been accused of podcasting from time to time. You can check out the most recent one just to the right of the blog.

We're here to have discussions, so please enjoy and engage us in the comments!

thanks to Laurance Honkoski for the book banner!

Blaine's Other Blogs

20140206

Bethesda vs ZeniMax Online

The more I play through Bethesda RPGs, to which, as I've established, I'm very much a late-comer, the more I'm eager to get into Elder Scrolls Online, and see how much that experience translates. From the little I know, ESO seems to come very close to the 'authentic' Elder Scrolls experience.

I'm not talking just about the interface and control, either. I'm talking about the feel of the world and the nature of the quests. At first glance, one would think that Bethesda's approach would translate perfectly to the MMO style. Many of the quests in their games are 'go here, do this one thing, then report back,' which very much echoes the style found in MMOs. However, there are often times in their games in which there are multiple approaches and outcomes that can fulfill that quest. I'm curious to see if that versatility is something that is featured in the game.

Something, though, that MMOs do that Elder Scrolls doesn't, is non-linear progression. In most MMOs, leveling dictates whether or not you can survive in a designated area. Most MMOs subtly section areas off by implying 'this area is for 30-35,' 'this area is for 36-40,' etc. I've heard the original SWTOR design tried to eschew this approach, and put the standard non-linear BioWare approach in place, but that they brought in some experts that changed it to more closely resemble the WoW approach. I'm eager to see what ESO does here. I won't be upset if they have to make some compromises, but a lot of what I'm learning about the game seems to eschew some MMO standards.

For example, this explains their approach to character-building:


The 'M' Rating
So, word on the street is that Bethesda was surprised to see ESO get an M rating. In the current MMO market, this can understandably present some constraints to their potential market, since it narrows their audience a bit.

However, I'd like to point out that both Oblivion and Skyrim were 'M' rated titles, so it's possible the game will be more in line with what we've seen in the last two titles, and the 'M' rating potentially frees them up to skew more adult than perhaps they were planning initially. It would be refreshing to see content that caters to a more mature crowd in an MMO.

And it's not like, in the past, we've walked into a bar in Ebonheart, and seen a topless bar wench on a table screaming, 'Fuck you all!' while she gouges a man's eyes out. But, perhaps a bit more realism and some colorful languages, so long as it's lore-consistent, would not be something to which I'd object.

Also, and this is probably hopeless, but between the subscription fee and the 'M' rating, might we see a more mature audience than is typically found in MMOs? Between F2P and 'please everyone by pleasing no one' approaches in most MMOs, the communities tend to turn toxic over time. I feel that a subscription and the 'M' rating MIGHT filter the community to a point that it's people that are genuinely enthusiastic about the product, and have an active interest in providing feedback that is actually useful.

It sure would be nice, after some of my past experiences.

You Are the Only Hero, One of Several Hundred Thousand
This is something I'm not sure is going to be solved by any MMO any time soon. The player's avatar is the One, the One that will do that One thing. And the same goes for all these other avatars.

I sometimes wish that MMOs would abandon this very notion. Why not let the player just be 'one of many' instead of the One, in addition to all these other Ones?

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if ESO tries to do something new here. Again, if they don't, I'm not sweating it, but I hope they try to put their own stamp on it, at least.

I had to bang this out real quick between work items, so sorry for the abbreviated post.

Like I said yesterday, if you're in the ESO beta this weekend, PM me. I wouldn't mind playing with some folks.

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment