(thanks to Alan Richey for the killer banner above)

Welcome to Untitled Gaming, repository for unfiltered, uncensored opinions on all things related to games, and best of it all, it comes from two adults that don't live in their mothers' basements. Additionally, we do not think it's the coolest thing in the world to scream racist and homophobic slurs, all in the name of drawing attention to our sad, little lives. We do other less obnoxious things to draw attention to our sad, little lives.

Oh, and we've been accused of podcasting from time to time. You can check out the most recent one just to the right of the blog.

We're here to have discussions, so please enjoy and engage us in the comments!

thanks to Laurance Honkoski for the book banner!

Blaine's Other Blogs

20100217

On the horizon! Look! It's a podcast!

OKAY. Real quick. I'm getting up in five and a half hours, and I promised I'd post this tonight, though it's now AM, so whatever. It was my first down time after 38 consecutive need-to-do-something hours, so...there.

Anyway, I snagged both Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth and Aliens vs. Predator today, which is awesome. AvP took over 8 hours to download, and that sucked, but it forced me to remember why I'm so in love with the Ace Attorney series. Having to really push my brain in a game is awesome, and getting to be with these characters again is like reuniting with old friends. I really dig the more investigative angle, and can't wait to play more.

I did spend about ten minutes with AvP, which I sat up and waited for, and gotta say...it's the best looking game I own. Crank that sucker up to 1920x1080 w/ DirectX11 and BLAMMO, it was surprising how great it looked.

Since it is a PC game, I still need to do some tweaking. It hung horribly on the cut scenes, but the in-game was perfect. I also had a ton of shit (iTunes, Firefox, Visual Studio 2010) running in the background, and I hadn't rebooted in over a day, so that may have hindered the cut scenes.

Anyway, aside from the gorgeous visuals, I was really struck by how good the sound design was. I paid particular attention to the control, since so many reviewers had been crying over their 360 controllers about how bad the control is in the console ports, and in very limited play time, the PC version seemed great. No, I didn't try the titular Alien yet, but I heard that was the worst offender in terms of control. Will grab more stick-time tomorrow.

Okay. Not so brief.

Tony and I are back behind the mic again this weekend, and we'll be talking about:

Ace Attorney & AvP
BioShock 2 review
new Resident Evil 5 DLC
new Forza 3 DLC
Heavy Rain demo
(insert random old shit that Tony's been playing)
final thoughts on Mass Effect 2
and pretty much whatever else you're willing to sit through

So, drop us a comment on anything above or whatever else you want us to read on 'the air.' Thanks!

-Blaine

3 comments:

  1. The 360-ers must be whiny. I played the PS3 version last night and had no issues with controls. I played a little as a marine, but couldn't stand not being given more control in terms of aiming down sites, etc. I think MAG, MW2, etc spoiled me.

    As an Alien, though, things were rockin'. I took out multiple predators both stealthily and mano y mano. The controls for them can be a little odd, but I was already expecting that from extensive time with the original. Occasionally, after climbing a wall and crawling onto a ceiling, the camera would center somewhere I wasn't expecting. Minor details really.

    Looking forward to putting more time into it. I'll probably still pick up the PC version when my little clan of misfit procrastinators pony up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't mind hearing about Ace Attorney as downloadable WiiWare vs on the DS. Got some left over Nintendo "currency" and am considering picking it up. Also be interesting to get a comparison of PC VS 360 VS PS3 for AvP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit of a warning - AvP requires a HEFTY system to run well. I could not get a smooth frame rate, even at 720p, on the following specs:

    Intel dual core 2.5 ghz
    256 meg nvidia
    4 gb ram
    Windows 7 64-bit

    Of course I got my laptop before the video card memory explosion, so that is probably the issue, but this is still the only game I cannot run at 720p even with all details set to Low.

    ReplyDelete