(thanks to Alan Richey for the killer banner above)

Welcome to Untitled Gaming, repository for unfiltered, uncensored opinions on all things related to games, and best of it all, it comes from two adults that don't live in their mothers' basements. Additionally, we do not think it's the coolest thing in the world to scream racist and homophobic slurs, all in the name of drawing attention to our sad, little lives. We do other less obnoxious things to draw attention to our sad, little lives.

Oh, and we've been accused of podcasting from time to time. You can check out the most recent one just to the right of the blog.

We're here to have discussions, so please enjoy and engage us in the comments!

thanks to Laurance Honkoski for the book banner!

Blaine's Other Blogs

20100602

Justified: Gaming Edition

It used to be that if you wanted to know someone's opinion on a game, you either picked up EGM or heard about it from a friend (or, if you wanted to see a bunch of excited as fuck dudes next to a 5.0, picked up Gamepro). Nowadays every video game site in existence puts out a review for almost every release, making it easy for everyone and their mom to find at least one person out there who agrees with your minority view. This has a strange effect as well, making it easy to see who is in the minority and majority on most game releases. Given that game prices are now a small investment, the urge for people to make themselves feel better about their purchase has grown, leading to an odd phenomenon where you need to justify not only purchasing a game with below a certain score on metacritic, but NOT purchasing a game with above a certain score.

This used to exist just with more expensive items, such as in the car world (see Mustang v Camaro, Muscle v Import, etc) and in the mid 90s video game consoles (at it's height in the Genesis/SNES and Game Boy/Game Gear days). Metacritic seems to have changed all that though, and in the process made game discussion forums at least 70% bitching about reviews or saying why a certain review that agrees with you is the be-all-end-all review. I remember feeling like I had to justify my purchase of Lost Odyssey to a bunch of people on my friends list, as merely playing the game caused a slew of 'I heard that game sucked bad, how is it?' It has gotten so specific that you can pretty much use the scale below:

Under 80 - It obviously sucks, and should not be even touched
80 to 90, it obviously sucks/rocks more than X game that got that score
90+ - Why the fuck are you not playing this game, if you don't like it you obviously hate gaming and are wrong

I personally have always been a huge fan of the old EGM Good/Bad/Ugly part of the review, which has been replicated to some extent on various sites. I look at the good, see if it intrests me, then at the bad and see if it is something that would piss me off. Lost Odyssey was too traditional, something that was a GOOD for me after playing many newer RPGs. Sacred 2 had glitches I was willing to look past as they didn't impact the core appeal of the game to me. Too Human... err, I don't know why I put 60 hours into it, I still believe it had subliminal messages and Blizzard was just taking too fucking long getting out Diablo 3, so they are to blame.

The strange part is that I have suddenly had to justify why I was NOT playing Red Dead Redemption. In this case, the western setting was a turn off for me, the GTA controls were something I didn't want to fight, and the HUGE single player game was not something I wanted to tie myself to as the weather gets nice. Despite this, I cannot think of a game that I have seen so many 'If you are not playing this there is something wrong with you' posts, though some of the Nintendo games were a little like that (and Mario Galaxy is the same way). Oddly enough I decided that for me Blur was a better purchase and something I would enjoy more, even though it is obviously the wrong choice with a score in the 80s.

I'm not sure what to make of the new culture, this is more of a plea to everyone to please take a step back and look at games as more than a score. You don't need to pretend to like Mario Galaxy 2, and you don't need to automatically hate Alpha Protocol - there is normally a reason there is a majority opinion, but there is also a reason that everyone will make different top 10 lists and fight over them nonstop. Buying blindly on review scores has caused me to waste money on games I only played for 2 hours (Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl, Scribblenauts) or did not enjoy but finished just because I spent the cash on them (GTAIV, Resistance, Killzone 2, Halo 3, Need for Speed Shift, Half-Life 2). On the flip side, looking past them have allowed me to discover some excellent titles (Killing Floor, Lost Odyssey, Sacred 2). A high score will not make you like a game that doesn't sound interesting, and a low score on something that sounds awesome to you may not prevent you from enjoying it.

I will say that I love video reviews for seeing what people find frustrating/annoying about a game. Hearing the controls in Alpha Protocol are bad is nothing compared to seeing someone miss shot after shot when it is lined up (a la Fallout 3, which I learned to just use VATS). I have found these a lot more useful to get a feel for if the reason it scored low was personal preference or fundamental issues with the game I will not be able to overlook. Past that, go ahead and say your opinion, just remember that Metacritic doesn't tell you the right one all the time when it comes to your own gaming enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment